Things have been on the slow side with the motorcycle lately. Lot’s of planning but not much actual progress. But that’s intentional, as I haven’t scheduled too much work in June as last friday our family became a family of four, as my lovely wife delivered a little baby boy into this world. And in the following couple weeks my priorities are clear (family, if you have to ask)… So not too many posts.
But that’s not to say there’s no progress, as today I had my last driving lessons, and in the next week I’ll have my first (and hopefully last) attempt to achieve the driver’s licence for a motorcycle. Some of the slow speed handling tasks are pretty hard, but I’m feeling quite positive. I think I’m getting the hang of it. And it’s fun! The “funny” thing is that I have to learn to shift gears etc. (the hardest part about driving a gasoline motorcycle in my opinion) which I will never have to do with my own electric motorcycle.
I also went to measure the voltages of my CALB cells. What was pretty great was that the other 24 cells all measured precisely 3.29 volts and only one had 3.28 volts (close enough!). Not bad. So not much deviation. I took one of the cells home as I want to try out my Graupner Ultramat 16 RC-charger (it has also charge/discharge programs for LiFePo4 chemistries) to discharge the cell to 2.75 volts, which is the bottom balance level I intend to aim for each cell (if you’re interested about the “bottom balancing” method you might want to check out the kwsaki blog, as Jake has written pretty good instructions there). After this they are pretty much “empty”, ie. bottom balanced. Then the pack will be joined in series and will be charged to 87.6 volts (approx. 3.5 volts per cell) which is the charger’s cutoff level.
FedEx also brought the Cycle Analyst instrumentation, which I will be using to monitor the battery pack charge level and the energy consumption in use etc. So it will be my main main instrumentation, in addition to a regular speedometer/odometer. I still haven’t decided if I’ll keep the original speedo/tachometer cluster with all the “idiot lights” or will I replace it with a simpler unit with just the basics (speedometer, odometer). We’ll see.