DE-ICE’d!

So, I finally took the plunge.

The motorcycle has now officially been “DE-ICE’d”, as the EV people calls the procedure (ICE = Internal Combustion Engine). With the help of my Brother in Law the whole thing went real smooth and now there’s one shiny and lonely engine somewhere, possibly looking for a new happy owner. But I have not decided yet if I’ll keep the engine myself for the future, or sell it. If the electrification is a clear success, than it will most likely be sold.

I am SO glad the bike is in such a good overall condition. All the bolts came out clear and the frame is in excellent shape. Everything I will add to it will be bolted down to original engine mounts, without ruining the frame itself (or the engine, tailpipes etc). The EV components will be pretty much a “drop-in” package. And now I can finally take the precise measurements for the motor adapter plate, that will be used to connect the motor onto the frame, as well as begin planning the battery boxes and fiberglass fairings for the sides.

ehonda_18

And once the bike is street legal, also the speedo cluster will be replaced with a more useful custom instrument panel. The new one I will build (after pretty much everything else has been done) will eventually have a smaller sized daytona speedometer, cycle analyst and a separate ammeter, plus separate LED lights for power (red led), beam light (blue led) and turn signals (green leds).

Here’s also a pic with the cafe racer style seat I’ve bought for it (direct bolt-on to the original mounts without modifications). Beginning to have a little bit of an idea what kind the bike will look like… After the inspection, the whole rear end behind the seat will be replaced with just a neat and clean chrome led bullet signal/tail lights (as well as matching front turning lights) and registration plate support and one small red reflector (pretty useless in my opinion but the law requires it). There’s also a really neat chrome cafe racer handle bar waiting, with a chrome bar end mirror, to replace the current “sport” handle bar and the original “mickey mouse” mirrors. (I love chrome. After loosing the pipes it really needs to have more.)

ehonda_16

There’s also been some progress with the EV components. I’ve wired all the thick cables and now I need to bolt down the motor and provide the power for the contactor and controller with smaller wires, so I can test spin the motor before bolting the components onto the bike itself.

ehonda_15

Wiring Things

Yesterday I finally started looking at how to wire things together. Then I realized I need bigger (10mm) cable heads for the contactor (had bought 8mm heads for my 35mm² wire) and I also bought some heavy duty on/off switch for the 72V high amperage circuit, to cut off batteries completely when the bike is not in use. And of course some fuses (for the contactor low amperage circuit), screws, nuts etc. that I will need to complete the wiring properly. And one temporary click-switch for the contactor power that will be replaced by the bike’s own key switch (hopefully). Still need to figure out how I will tie/bolt down the motor, for the test spin…

While I was preparing the cables, I also measured the battery pack. Still reads an even 84V (my own meter gives a bit bigger numbers than the one I had used other times) and individual cells read at 3.36V. Only one had 3.35V and one 3.37V which is only within 0.5% from each other. Not bad! From all the very positive experience people have had with the bottom-balancing, makes me wonder who needs a BMS at all…? Especially in these “homegrown” garage builds where you can monitor the pack and individual cells easily enough. It will be interesting to see how the pack and individual cells behave after I’ve used them empty couple times and charged them over and over again. Since there’s no indication of any bad cells, I’m not worrying too much.

In the evening I also went to take a look at a place where I could build my bike. It was a big hobbyist garage and I should be able to get a spot there where to work. Although it will take some 3 weeks before I can move in there. Can’t (don’t want to) wait for that long, so I might start already within a week or so, by de-ice’ing the bike outdoors and taking measurements for the battery boxes and motor mount. Both will be manufactured for me so I do not have to make them myself, other than by designing them.

And as a final note, I have to admit I’ve fallen in love with motorcycling, especially with my own bike. It handles like a dream and I couldn’t have hoped for a better frame. Driving with gasoline is real fun, but I can’t wait to experience the full torque of the electric motor and the total freedom without the clutch and gears.

Motorcycle Driver’s Licence

Yay! Today I passed the handling & driving exams and now I have a full motorcycle driver’s licence! Now I can finally start driving my motorcycle for a little while (as a gasoline bike), before dismantling it for the conversion. I really want to know how it handles before the conversion, which is the main reason I haven’t begun the DE-ICE process yet.