Yesterday I finished up some final cleanup and tried to figure out why the 12V battery had drained dead while the bike had sat there for couple of days. I suspect the DC-DC as everything else is key-switched (the converter has key signal switch too and should be shut down, but who knows)… I’ve now isolated even the 12V negative side from the DC-DC with a relay when the bike is shut down. And I’ve also added a physical battery cut-off switch for the 12V system, at least until I can be sure there’s nothing there draining the battery, when everything should be shut down.
I also got the aluminum battery boxes and test fitted them in the frame. Tomorrow I’ll transport the bike to the welder so we can create the attachment tabs so that they can be bolted down. They’re welded from 4mm aluminum so they should be pretty bomb-proof. Hoping to be able to make some test driving tomorrow… We’ll see.
And today I called to the inspection office and talked with the technician about the inspection. Hopefully this will be pretty straight-forward and the bike will become street legal (if nothing profound needs to be corrected). Then the real fun begins…
Yesterday I reached a major milestone. With the help of my sister’s husband, we changed the rear sprocket, cleaned up the rear wheel hub and installed the new chain. And before that I had finally finished up the wiring and gotten the motor running. I brought the batteries besides the bike so that we could test the motor spinning the wheel. Now the bike is pretty much ready for road once I can get the batteries mounted up!
As some extra good news, I contacted another welding company and they should be able to do the aluminum battery cases during the next week. I think I’ll chill out before that and concentrate on my family for the time being. Finishing touches can wait until I get the cases.
Chain and new sprocket in place
Only battery boxes missing
Chain looks pretty good
Bad things first. The battery boxes aren’t still ready. They were supposed to be ready last thursday and I had planned to take my bike to the welder so that we would have fitted the attachment points to the boxes. The welding company doing the boxes has been way too busy with other deals, as they’ve had people sick and “more important” customers in line. Yeah, life is like that… I know. (But it’s still annoying as hell.)
But on my personal front I’ve been busy fighting my own battles. During the last friday, weekend and yesterday evening, I’ve built a sort of “motherboard” for the bike where I’ve bolted down the major components, installed it into the bike and started wiring things together. Yesterday I got 95% finished with that. Only a little bit of finishing and double (and triple) checking all the connections, and I should be ready for the first test spin of the motor. Tomorrow I should be installing the chain and the new rear sprocket, so that we could see the wheel spinning too. Only if I could get the battery boxes as soon as possible, and I could actually be driving it for the first time…
Above: Tentacle monster, waiting to be installed into the bike!
I decided to ditch the previous battery isolation switch and bought a sturdier one, with easier structure to be bolted on to the “motherboard”. Kudos to Jarkko for tipping me about it. Below are some pics of the progress. Kinda feels the same as assembling a computer… (The whole mess of wires will be hidden below the seat and gas tank, as well as behind the side panels. And the loose wires will be zipped down tight.)
The new battery isolation switch.
Shunt and the controller on the right side.
Truly a “naked” bike.
The fuse box, just below the gas tank (the tank is easy to remove with just a bolt so that I can access the fuses).