It’s been pouring cats and dogs lately, so during this rainy midsummer weekend I finally added some extra protection to front and bottom of the battery/motor compartment to prevent water and other crap splashing into battery cases and the motor. I used some 3mm plastic sheet, fixed with rubber-padded clamps to the tubular frame. It didn’t rain in the morning, but it had rained whole yesterday and all night and there were lots of puddles here and there. And the motor was completely dry once I got to work. So it seems to do it’s job just fine. Next I’ll be adding the side fairings, which will add some extra protection, especially on rainy days.
What I also did was that I added a proper bottom plate for the 12V battery, under the empty gas tank. So it’s much better secured there now. Also in my (never-ending) to-do-list there’s adding some protection for the front sprocket as a chain guard of sorts. And I’ve got a new shiny headlight that I’d like to install as well.
Luckily I’ve got only this week left at work. Then it’s seven weeks of holidays for me… Oh yeah! (Maybe some time to work with the bike too.)
Here’s some helmet cam recording of my today’s drive to work with my motorcycle. Recorded with Contour+2 camera. I started recording at Myyrmäki-halli (Vantaa, Finland) and ended up at my work adress in Espoo. The camera seems to pick up wind noise pretty loud and you can barely hear the chain noise (which is more audible to ears). Also there was some corrupt sections that I had to cut. And I chopped it a lot shorter (the whole trip is about 20 minutes).
Not so wonderful weather this time… 5 degrees Celsius and my fingers froze. Brrr…
A co-worker of mine took a short “take-off” video, before I rode back home from work. (Wonderful weather to take a bit longer detour through the local fields.)
Well, I had no luck with the Daytona’s proximity sensor either. It seems that the same problem persisted no matter what sensor type I used. The magnetic field from the electric motor messed up with the speedometer itself. So I decided to remove it altogether and just installed another mechanical cable driven speedometer that I had in store as a backup. Looks and works just fine, even if the chinese “quality” is evident from the text (rmp instead of rpm). Also installed a new speedo cable as the old one was pretty worn out from the hub connection end.
With the new speedometer
Still haven’t had the time to do anything else, like installing the new fairings. Hoping to do it as soon as possible… I’ve also received my new shiny Japanese-built headlight with chrome-plated metal housing, which is a little bit smaller than the current banged & scrached up original one. Going to look purdy, for sure.